- 2 onions sliced
- 250ml cream
- 125ml milk
- 300g sliced potato
- 90g grated cheddar cheese
- Butter to grease oven dish
- Pre heat the oven to 160oc Gas mark 4
- Heat a little oil in a pan and cook the onions over a medium heat for 10 minutes until tender
- Heat the milk & cream in a sauce pan for 4-5 minutes, do not boil. Season with salt & pepper
- Grease an oven proof dish with butter
- Start layering starting with 1/3 potato, 1/3 the onion, 1/3 cheese and continue till all the ingredients are used up. Finishing with the cheese.
- Pour over the milk/cream
- Bake in the oven for one hour until the potato is both cooked & crispy on top.
- I usually cover the potato for ¾ of the cooking.